photo PLVlogoRev2copy-0_zps51684a25.png

September 2, 2013

Melted Roast Beef Deliciousness

Now that Engineer Husband and I are back to a little home time (seriously..we had something big every weekend in August!), I can get back in tune with our kitchen. I come from a long history of women who enjoyed and excelled at cooking. I...was a bit of a late bloomer. I really started within the past year, but so far it's been a blast and according to EH (who I don't think would lie about food!) I'm actually not terrible at it!

That feels like a victory, for sure.

Tonight I made a new recipe I found when I was playing on Pinterest. It was quick, easy, and EH and I both made happy plates! I had big plans to take step by step pictures, but the camera was charging and seriously, these are so easy you wouldn't need them anyway.

Melted Roast Beef Sandwiches (original recipe here)

-Cooked Roast Beef (I bought a packet from the deli aisle, which was okay, but next time I'll hit up my deli counter and get the good stuff!)
- 2 TBS Mayonnaise (Helmann's! None of that Miracle Whip nonsense)
-1 TBS Dijon Mustard
-3 TBS diced green chiles
-2-4 Slices of Swiss Cheese
-4 Slides of bread (original called for rye, which would have been delightful. I had sourdough. It was just as good I think!)
-2 TBS softened butter 
- Salsa* optional

Keep in mind this recipe is for two people. You could easily double or triple up the ingredients if you needed to cook for a larger crowd! 

Combine the green chiles, mayonnaise and dijon mustard in a small bowl. I mixed ahead of time and put in the fridge for a few hours to let all the flavors get good and combined.

To assemble, coat all 4 slices of bread with your new delicious mixture. Pile on your roast beef, top with as much swiss cheese as you'd like. Once the sandwiches are assembled, coat the outside on both sides with a generous amount of softened butter.

*Little side anecdote - H (who is the more experience cook in our house) asked why I was using so much butter on the bread. Trust me, I said! No problem, I love butter!, he replied! And in the end, it worked out. The thick butter on the outside of the bread made the most amazing crust. 

Anyways. Once you're all assembled and ready - heat up a skillet or non-stick pan. I put ours over low, which is more like medium for normal stoves. You want the pan hot, but not scalding. Place both sandwiches on the pan and let the bread get nice and toasty. Ours became perfect right between 3-4 minutes.

Flip! Which is the hardest part of this ordeal, and let the other side cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. I squished ours down with a spatula so everything got nice and cozy in the middle. 

Aaaand..that's it. Once that second side is good and golden brown, and you can see the swiss cheese oozing out the side you should be good to go!

See? 






I'm usually not a HUGE fan of roast beef, but this paired with the swiss cheese, and the surprise little kick of green chiles made it divine. And, as you can tell from the picture, I forgot the salsa! But remembered just in time to get a few bites with it at the end. It was good! But I wouldn't have missed it. Entirely up to you!

Try it next time you're lazy but still want something home cooked. Swap it out for different ingredients. Go for it and make dinner easy and victorious!



No comments:

Post a Comment